Choose the Right Privacy Fence, Installing a new fence around your property is an exciting project that can increase privacy, security, and aesthetics. With so many fencing options available, how do you choose the right privacy fence to suit your needs? Here are some helpful tips from the fencing experts at Perimtec on selecting, designing, and installing the ideal privacy fence for your home.
Assess Your Needs
First, consider the reasons you want a new privacy fence. Do you need to:
- Create more privacy from neighbors or the street?
- Keep pets or children safely contained in the yard?
- Enhance security and deter trespassers?
- Improve the aesthetics and increase your home’s curb appeal.
Identify which areas of your property need more privacy. For instance, you may only need a fence along the sides or back of your yard. Measure the areas that need a barrier and make sure to check local ordinances for any height restrictions.
Choose a Fence Style
Once you determine your needs, research the best fence styles to fulfill your goals. Here are some top options for privacy fencing:
Wood Privacy Fences
- Cedar: Beautiful, natural-looking, and resists rotting. Needs occasional staining or sealing.
- Redwood: Gorgeous, reddish tone. Naturally durable against insects and decay.
- Pressure-Treated Pine: Budget-friendly softwood soaked in preservatives. Long-lasting.
- Never needs painting. Won’t rot, warp, or splinter. Variety of styles and colors.
- Durable in all weather. Easy to clean. Long-lasting.
- Made from recycled wood fibers and plastic. Low maintenance.
- Resists moisture, decay, and insects. Natural wood-like appearance.
- Contemporary, modern look. Very low maintenance.
- Sturdy and secure. Powder-coated or vinyl-coated finish resists rust.
Choose a style that fits your home’s architecture and needs the appropriate level of privacy. For instance, alternating board designs have gaps, while a solid wood fence creates an opaque barrier.
Design and Layout
Sketch your property perimeter and play around with fence layouts. Decide whether you want a fence along the full perimeter or only partially enclosing your yard.
Mark any utilities to avoid and consider gate locations for access. Determine the most flattering fence height for your home’s proportions.
Contact the fencing experts at Perimtec for help designing the most functional fence layout. They can ensure proper support post spacing and meet local regulations.
Select Durable Materials
For the best long-lasting privacy fence, use weather-resistant materials like cedar, redwood, or vinyl. While treated pine is more affordable, it requires frequent staining and may warp over time.
Aluminum and steel fences also withstand the elements. Get color-matched posts and gates to prevent rusting.
Choose thicker, premium-grade fence boards over thinner pickets, which deteriorate faster. The investment in quality materials really pays off.
Find the Right Fencing Company
An experienced, professional fencing contractor is key for a successful installation. Ask potential companies:
- How long have they been in business? Look for 5+ years of experience.
- Do they handle the entire process from design to permitting to installation?
- What is their workmanship warranty? Aim for at least 5 years.
- Can they provide referrals from past clients?
Be sure to get 3-4 quotes to compare pricing. Ask about their material sources as well. Some fencing contractors provide in-house design services to make the process smooth and easy.
Prepare the Site
Installing a fence requires some preparation work. Mark the fence layout with stakes and string. Remove any existing vegetation or obstacles in the installation area.
The contractor will need all-terrain access around the perimeter to dig post holes and maneuver materials. Coordinate in advance to have underground utility lines marked to avoid puncturing pipes or wires.
When installation day arrives, make sure you are home to answer any questions and oversee progress. Ensure the crew has access to electrical outlets and water sources if needed.
Provide refreshments to keep the team going on hot or cold weather days. Watch out for curious children and pets so they stay safe and don’t escape through open gates.
Enjoy Your Privacy by Choosing Right Privacy Fence
Once your beautiful new privacy fence is professionally installed by Perimtec, you can relax and enjoy a heightened sense of seclusion in your outdoor living space. Maintain that feeling of sanctity in your own backyard oasis by:
- Sealing any unfinished wood every 1-2 years
- Cleaning vinyl and composite fencing with soap and water annually
- Keeping vegetation trimmed back from scraping against the fence
Following these tips will help you choose the right fencing solution to enhance your property for many years to come. With an ideal privacy barrier in place, your home’s exterior and your own peace of mind are now complete.
We hope you enjoyed this article!
If YES ›› please do us a favor and share this guide with your friends and colleagues on social media. Thank you! 🙂
If you have a website ›› feel free to share snippets of the article. We just ask that you provide a link back to this post as a thank you.
We appreciate you!